Thursday, September 1, 2011

Walking Lifestyle

Since moving to Ottawa I have started walking most places. I walk to work, the mall, for most of my entertainment, and to the gym. I haven't given up on driving but I don't need to very much. I like it. I wasn't sure if I would but I do.

Last weekend I was in Edmonton. That city isn't really set up for walking. There are a lot of large parking lots and urban sprawl. It's very difficult to a lot.

The differences make it clear that to have a waking lifestyle you need a city laid out to accomplish that.

There are other factors working against Edmonton being a walking place. It has a long cold dark winter. For much of the cold period the sun isn't up before you arrive at work and has gone down long before you leave for home. That can really discourage you from walking.

Edmonton is the capital of Alberta. The economy of Alberta relies heavily on oil extraction and refining. It would be reasonable to assume they would build their cities to use fuel.

When you walk you can see so much happening. You can take in the city. You can interact. It is part of living. You can feel the pulse. You get part of conversations. It can be quite entertaining.

I like my walking lifestyle. It's hard to deny it's a good way to live. It is very sustainable and today, I don't want to trade it for anything.



No comments:

Post a Comment