Sunday, November 3, 2013

Feeling Free

I've been selling cars for a couple of weeks now. Some of the job I really like, some of it I'm really not a fan of. The job is pretty much as I expected it to be. This post isn't about selling cars, it's about what the world feels like now.

I worked in the same program for the same organization for a long time. I'll be honest, some of it was very comfortable. I knew what to do, and who to talk to. However, I also felt really trapped. Based on sheer numbers promotion was unlikely for a long time. A lateral transfer was also not in the cards for the foreseeable future, not because I couldn't do another job but because everyone else I could switch with didn't have the technical skills and knowledge to do my job. It's not their fault, what I was doing was very specialized.

Since switching jobs, I feel free. 

When talking to various people about how it's going, I have come to realize the world is once again open to me. In the long term, I may not like selling cars, it's too early to judge. However, I feel like if I don't I will find something I do like. I have a lot of skills and knowledge. I am adding some new experience and I believe it will be compliment my current skills. All of this gives me a feeling of freedom.

I feel like I can live wherever I want. Right now I want to live in Ottawa. So, I can work at something I like in this city. If an opportunity elsewhere interests me, I can make a switch. I feel I can have a balance between my work and my my out of work life.

I feel like I can do whatever I want. If I choose to change occupations it may take some time but I can find what I want to do. I can find an organization that closely aligns with how I feel business is to be conducted. I feel I can find an organization that values my inputs and bring value to them. I was bogging down in the churn in my old job. That is gone and I hope to never experience it again.

There was a time in my life when I used to seek out adventure. That diminished in recent years and I am getting it back. It's invigorating. I feel a lot more alive and I'm viewing the world with excitement and optimism. I feel more creative and I'm learning everyday. I'm returning to the person I like and want to be.

I have no regrets with my old job. I thoroughly enjoyed it most of the time. I grew as a person and I had some amazing experiences but it was time for the next chapter in my life and since I've done what some people think is crazy, I feel I have put my life on a great course to something big in the future. That's what I'm most excited about.

No comments:

Post a Comment