Tuesday, November 19, 2013

You May Be Judged

I really believe in free speech. You can say whatever you want. It doesn't bother me. However, I will judge you for what you say.

I was witness to a conversation today that made me take note. It was about Christmas. One of the parties to the conversation was arguing that we shouldn't be having things like NBA basketball games on Christmas Day because it will prevent a lot of people from being with their families on that special day.

I see his point.

However, this person is also a member of the senior management of a for profit organization that was open the minute the law allowed for on Remembrance Day.

I'm a firm believer that we should take one whole day each year to remember and thank those who gave up so much so we could have choice in our life. How does it often fall to the wayside for people to show respect for ordinary people who committed to a cause and faced  evil forces to ensure the future would be bright.

I didn't speak up this time. I wanted to see where the whole argument would go. This is definitely a case of actions speaking a lot louder than words. Preventing people from being able to show their thanks and support for the few that did so much is very unfortunate. What is even unfortunate is people don't have the depth to realize that they do not approach each situation with the same moral compass.

He was right, it is important to have families together for Christmas and if at all possible employers should facilitate this. Most families do get at least a couple of days a year that they can spend together, I only ask for one whole day to remember and say thanks for our precious freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment