Monday, November 18, 2013

I Knew It Would Happen

A month ago I changed jobs. I feel a lot freer but there is one thing I knew I would miss. When I moved to Ottawa, I found a place to live within walking distance of work. Everyday I would walk a little over two and a half kilometres to get to work in the morning and another two and a half kilometres to get home. Once I got used to it, it really helped with other parts of life.

I miss walking to work.

I'm starting to notice the effects of not walking to work. I think I've lost a bit of my cardiovascular strength and endurance. I am a bit slower when I run and the last couple of reps of the last set at the gym are more difficult. Going into winter, I'm not too fond of this.

One of the main reasons I switched jobs was I wasn't enjoying my job. I felt trapped. I can't imagine how bad it would have been if I had not been walking to work each day.

Walking does a lot to help reduce stress. It forces you to be outside. It makes you feel more connected with the city in which you live. It gives you some exercise.

I may never live walking distance to work again and that's a shame. If you have the opportunity to live close enough to your job that you can walk, I suggest you take advantage of it. You will not be sorry. It will improve your life.

If, in the future, I have another opportunity to walk to work, I will put it back in my lifestyle. My life improved significantly when I moved to Ottawa three years ago and one of the best enhancements was walking to work, even if I don't currently do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment