Monday, October 4, 2010

Scanned In

Today as I passed through the passenger terminal in Ottawa, I was scanned by one the recently installed scanners being used in airports throughout the world.

I am not really one to hide. There are a few occurrences in my past I try to prevent coming up in the conversation, but who isn't in that situation.

Having said that, I prefer the scan to having the pat down. I don't hate the putdown, but I do find it takes forever. It may be a bit much when they stuff their fingers into your shoes. With the scan, you stand motionless for 2 seconds, they take a few seconds to analyze it and you carry on.

Now the rumour is you get a very detailed look under the subject's clothes. Does this really matter. Yes you will see their shape but let's be honest. You pretty much have that figured out without the scanner. I doubt you can see if they have any tattoos, moles or their haircut. These may be a bit more personal.

I realize a lot of people are sensitive to the opinion of others, especially when it comes to appearances. Often looking at a person is the only interaction two people ever have. If you think about it, how many people do you really remember? There are the few that look really good and the few that look really bad. The 95% in the middle are quickly forgotten, especially if no conversation is ever started.

There is no reason to be afraid of the scanner. It's safe, quick, painless, and hopefully effective. I didn't believe I would have any issue with the scanner and it turns out I don't.


No comments:

Post a Comment