Thursday, April 23, 2009

The 95 Cent Orange

I live in a downtown high rise. On the main floor there is a small convenience store. It has has some fresh food, and a lot of packaged food. It is rather handy to zip down to pick up something you want or need in a pinch.

A couple of weeks back I was picking ups some margarine. I was making Kraft Dinner, but I had no margarine to mix in.

There was a woman who wanted 2 oranges. They had some rather nice large navel oranges for sale. The storekeeper wanted 95 cents a piece. That is rather pricey, however considering you do not have to go outside to pick it up, I could justify to myself to spend the money if I wanted the oranges. I was spending $4 on a small tub of margarine. She felt it was a bit too much and put the oranges back.

That is one of the beauties of capitalism, if you don't want to buy it you don't have to.

We both took the elevator up at the same time. She complained relentlessly about the price the entire ride up.

They were oranges in a convenience store. You have to pay for the convenience part.

If you don't want to pay 95 cents a piece for oranges, pay to travel to a grocery store are buy several oranges.

But, capitalism always gives you the choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment