Wednesday, October 7, 2009

SAD

Fall is here. With it the days are definitely getting shorter. With this usual occurrence I now have to wake up before the sun comes over the horizon. Well, I don't actually have to get up, but if I don't I will probably not be employed very long. I have always found it harder to wake up before the sun gets up than after. I also find it harder to be chipper when it I go to work in the dark and come home in the dark. I'm pretty sure I am somewhat effected by Seasonal Affective Disorder or SAD.

I am not incapacitated by it, but I do notice over the winter I don't seem to have as much umph as I do in the summer.

I have also discovered a couple of things that help me:

a. Regular Exercise. The more I go to the gym the better I seem to feel.

b. Getting Out. Going out and doing things, even if they are trivial make me feel better.

c. Eating Healthy. I am not proclaiming I always eat well however, I do notice the better I eat the less I seem to affected by the dark and cold.

I see signs of SAD in a lot of people. It seems the to grow on itself. As people become more affected by it, they seem to not do the things that help themselves and as such it gets worse for them.

I'm not a doctor or any other type of medical authority, but I figure everyone should try to reduce the probability of suffering through SAD. If nothing else it will make the people around you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment