Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thanksgiving

In Canada, tomorrow will be Thanksgiving. Since my holiday Monday will be full of fitness, football and Metallica, I will take this time to say a couple of things on Thanksgiving.

This is a holiday centred around a traditional meal. I love a good turkey dinner and am thankful that once again I will have the opportunity to enjoy another meal this year.

When I was growing up in Russell, Manitoba Thanksgiving meant it was time for Beef and Barley, the town festival. It was always a good time. I didn't often make it home from university but I always made a point of going home for Beef and Barley.

Thanksgiving is really about being thankful for the good things in your life. We all know that the celebration has its roots in being thankful for a bountiful harvest, as this will ensure we can make it through the long winter.

I must say that there are many things I am thankful for:

1. The people in my life. I was lucky and ended up with a great family. You don't get to choose your family but I managed to join one of the best I have ever seen. I have great friends as well. I'm sure there are times I am not the best guy to be around but I have friends that stick with me even when I'm less than perfect. You can choose your friends, and my friends choose to stick with me, and for that I am very thankful.

2. Being Canadian. There is some choice in your nationality depending on your circumstance. I have never questioned how great it is to be Canadian. We can speak freely. We look out for each other. We can effect change. We can travel freely. We can live safely and comfortably. This is all partly in due to being Canadian.

3. Free Speech. This may be linked to being Canadian, but I am truly thankful for the concept of free speech. The ability to express our differing opinions openly without fear of persecution is a very powerful concept. This is the only way to advance ideas and better the world we live in. It is important to understand for this to work we need tolerance and be willing to look at the counterpoint for its merits.

That's all I have to say on being thankful. Everyone should take some time and spend time with people important to you and take a moment to reflect on what you are truly thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment