Sunday, June 13, 2010

Being a Hermit

For the second Sunday in a row I have had no meaningful face-to-face, human interaction all day. I have had some small contact, I held the door open to the laundry room and went to Subway and ordered a sub. I had two work related phone calls. I sent and received a couple of text messages. I checked Facebook. I watched TV. I am now writing a blog post for the world to read, if they choose. None of this could be described as meaningful face to face contact.

I'm not sure why I I seem to be hiding in my apartment on Sundays. I think part of it is tomorrow I will be making my annual trip to Gimli for the summer. Once there human contact is part of the gig. There may be too much at times. It can be hard to get a way and chill. Maybe I'm pre-chilling so I can take the constant people.

I'm fairly social. I like to talk with and listen to people. They don't always have to be very interesting but it does help. I like to be surprised by people. I like to hear interesting things and different opinions.

Having said all that I do like to be alone from time to time.

After a long day I like to relax with my own thoughts. I like the solitude. I like the idea that I don't have to watch what I say, mainly because there is no-one to say it to. I like that I don't have to compromise. I just don't want to be alone all the time.

In this electronic age we live it, it is easy to stay connected but I think it is more difficult to truly connect. It's harder to hold someone's attention and see the person they really are. It's easier to hide who you really are. You can filter the content and only show others what you want them to see. The complete person is not exposed to criticism or compliment.

The biggest change the internet has done is it is easier to capture and track what people say and do. It was always said and done, it lived in our memories and stories if we where there or had the chance to hear about it. Now it lives on a server and is triple backed up so the moment is never lost. A content filter controls who sees what. It's easy to be connected but difficult to connect.

I'm as guilty as anyone to embrace this new world, but I'm finding it is easy to not talk to people. I don't have to. I can get the info online. We can't go back, this is here to stay. I think the challenge going forward is to make sure we sit with people and communicate the oldest but most effective way, by talking.

No comments:

Post a Comment