Monday, June 7, 2010

Have You Ever Wondered

Have you ever looked around and wondered, 'How did I get here?' I'm not talking about a night where you had a few too many, I'm talking about those days when you realize life is not what you expected. It may be better or worse, but it's not how you expected it to be.

I find it's easy to get caught up in things. By things I mean excitement and drudgery. The days tick away, seemingly faster as you get older, as you go about your business. You always have something to do or somewhere to go. Often we are making decisions that may have significant impact on our future without much thought. Wisely or unwisely, we are expending time and resources on various ventures. Then one day, boom, we wonder how we got here. We probably have some great parts to out life and some parts we like to change. Fixing the undesirable parts is the challenge, since we probably set our path down that road without thought or realization.

On the flip side we cannot sit and contemplate every choice and it's long lasting effects on our eventual outcome. That is probably a good way to get a visit to several mental health professionals. There is a need for balance, hopefully most of the key moments are identified and the requisite time is taken. However, we are flawed and moments will be missed. That's ok. You may have to face some adversity but the lessons learned will help in the long run.

As I move through my 30's I am coming to realize that I am rather fortunate. Overall a lot of people would look at my life and think they would like what I have going on. They are not wrong. Of course it is difficult to not wonder where else my life could be if I made some different choices. I'm not regretful or angry, more curious than anything.

There are days I wonder how did I get where I am but a lot of them I'm glad I'm here.



No comments:

Post a Comment