Monday, June 21, 2010

Yup I Really Wish I Had Not Come Across That

I've seen a lot of stuff. My first job out of university was as a product manager for a pork company. I was often in the plant dealing with issues on the kill floor. I sold livers, kidneys, salivary glands and the like. I have seen some very brutal bar fights. I have seen strung out junkies with needles stuck in their arms. I seem to be able to stomach this stuff.

Yesterday I happened upon a horror that really made me shudder.

I saw two homeless people having sex on a park bench at about 4:30 pm near my apartment. If you think it sounds bad you should have seen it.

I have spent the last 24 hours debating if I should write about this. Since these people did not show any discretion I feel it is fine to have this within the blogosphere.

I understand that homeless people are still people and as such they have desires. If they wish to share each other's company in an intimate way that is their prerogative. I also feel that these folks should have chosen a more discrete location. There are often families with young children in the area. I would not want to have my children (if I was a parent) or children of my friends being exposed to that. What I saw made the whole act look horrendous and wrong. It will be difficult to build a healthy attitude toward sex if what I witnessed was one of your first exposures.

There are many points of view on this subject. I know mine is not shared by everyone but at the end of the day, I did not want to be a witness to that. It made something wonderful look wrong and sad.

I also realized how fortunate I am as I have resources at my disposal such as soap and shelter to keep me clean and private. It is unfortunate that people can end up in their position. I'm sure more can be done for people as long as they are willing to be helped and help themselves. In Canada we have a system to provide the basics to everyone. The system is not perfect but it does help many. How do these people fall through to end up copulating on a park bench? Do they want to be helped?

The whole thing struck me in a couple of ways. It was ugly and dirty but it also left me wondering how someone can think this is ok. I do not share their lives, nor do I want to, but I know more about them than I should.



1 comment:

  1. bahahahahahahahahahaha oh god I would be horrified if I saw that, but I didnt, its funny when it happens to someone else. The thing is homeless people know the diseases they have and they just dont care, the streets are their home, unfortunately they cant do it on a nice comfy bed, they have no shame. if anything else I just feel sorry for them.

    ReplyDelete