Monday, December 24, 2012

The Cat

Back in the last century both my sister and I finished high school. Once she left home my mom thought it would be a good idea to get a cat. She figured the house would seem rather empty with no children around. So, one day this kitten named Opus moved into the house.

Opus was a rather lively kitten. He would fight with my dad and run about the house. He was always up on the counter looking for food. He would try to get out of the house but mom decided he would be an indoor cat.

Opus is still with us and now he is an old cat. He slowly walks about the house. He makes strange sounds at random times. He may or may not be able to hop up onto the furniture. In the winter he takes two steps outside and realizes that Manitoba is really cold in the winter and slowly turns around and walks in. He is definitely old. I have not even seen him jog yet.

I guess this is what happens to all living creatures when they get old. At some point I think they believe they have paid their dues and are just take it easy. That's ok. Opus has lived a full life of climbing onto the counter and trying to run away when the door is open. I don't know if he ever caught a mouse or a bird. Nobody kept career stats on his exploits. Ultimately he is a good cat and still keeps my parents amused which is his whole reason for existence.

For a long time I found Opus rather annoying. He would walk across you and always be under foot. In his old age he is pretty chill, I can handle the old version of Opus, I just hope I have a few more years in me before I feel the need to slow down.

No comments:

Post a Comment