Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sometimes You Win, Sometimes - Not So Much

My vacation continues in snowy Brandon, Manitoba. It's a nice little place where winter sets in for a long time. It's also where all my direct family lives. It's great to see everyone. Hanging out with the family is always nice. I don't see them very often since leaving Manitoba but when I do it's like I never left.

All this reminds me why family is important. I tend to be busy and often don't feel like I have the time to call or write but that doesn't mean they are not important. They are busy too. Often when I try to call they are out. I don't expect them to sit at home by the phone so I am never disappointed if I miss them. However, sometimes it may be a couple of months between times we talk.

That's the winning.

I was supposed to fly from Winnipeg to Brandon in a small airplane yesterday. It would have been a great way to get out to see the family. As it turned out the weather was not conducive to flying a small airplane along that route in the window we had. So I had to go by surface transport. It's not a horrible thing to travel by surface transport between Winnipeg and Brandon but it was going to be a chance to fly along the route that was the first solo cross-country flight I had ever flown so it would have been neat. The forecast before went to bed looked like we could get out of Winnipeg but not into Brandon so the backup was to fly some circuits for fun. When we woke up the weather was so we could get into Brandon but not out of Winnipeg so even the circuits were not a possibility. 

Even though I didn't get to fly, the trip did give me a chance to catch up with another friend during the drive, so there was a silver lining.

I'm having a great vacation and nearly everything has worked out better than I hoped, even if I didn't get to fly yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment