Monday, May 25, 2009

Ain't No Rest for the Wicked

I have been rather busy as of late. There has been a lot of work travel and it continues today. It must be a good thing as it indicates things are getting done.

I think I have about a year's worth of work to do each year. However, it is not evenly spread over the course of the year. There are times I have too much on the go and times I really don't have a lot to do.

When I was growing up, when asked, "How was your day?" My father would answer steady. As one item is handled another pops up. I think steady would be nice. You would be constantly productive and not on overload at times.

This may all just be how I am perceiving things. There is a possibility that I am not as busy as I think I am and I am not as un-busy as I think I am.

You could make the argument to use the slow times to catch up on the things that don't get proper attention during the busy times. I do this as much as possible, however many deadlines have long since passed before the slow times arrive.

Deadlines are one of the key drivers of this whole issue. I was told a long time ago, "As long as you make your deadlines you can pretty much get away with anything." I'm not looking to get away with anything but it does provide a certain amount of flexibility and autonomy when you routinely make your deadlines. It is even more helpful if things are in early. This approach adds to the busy times. Taking the approach that it will be done will put additional stressors on the situation but the outcome is worth the effort.

I recently discovered a band out of Kentucky called Cage the Elephant. One of their lyrics goes "Well there ain't no rest for the wicked until we close our eyes for good." There are times I feel that way but there are also times I'm sitting on my thumbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment