Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Go Team!

The NHL playoffs are well underway and quite exciting. There have been some excellent games and series, sparking a lot of debate and discussion. These are the things of great bar room stories.

It is rather amazing if you consider how invested we are in sports.

We argue for hours about who was the best of all time, who is the best right now, what our team has to do to get or stay on top.

We build opulent stadiums and arenas to play the games. We buy merchandise. We go to sports bars. We travel to other cities to see our teams play.

We are invested in sport.

Why?

It's won't stop world hunger. It won't stop the fighting in Afghanistan. It won't fix deteriorating roads.

Why? Sport brings community together. It gives all of us a common conversation to have. It provides us with a common goal. It makes us feel like we belong.

There is nothing like being in the stands when a great moment happens.

I was there when Teemu Selanne scored his first playoff hat trick. I was there when Milt Stegall broke the touchdown record.

I will have these memories with me forever.

I feel part of something bigger because of my love of sport. I always have something to talk to my friends and strangers about.

We must embrace sport. We must live it. We must be part.

Go Team!

2 comments:

  1. Well, you have to have some stories that are safe for the grandkids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sport brings me together with a select group of people who like me, suffer from a lack of a complete dental set, enjoy the smooth sounds of the banjo and see no wrong in entering into a romantic relationship with their attractive fertile cousins. GO RIDERS!!! GREEN IS THE COLOUR!!!

    ReplyDelete