Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Can You Eat That?

So I picked up some grocery store sushi for supper tonight. I did have the thought that I really hope whoever made this did it properly but at the end of the day I ate it. I couldn't identify every ingredient but it didn't matter, I'm not allergic to any foods. There are foods I dislike, such as peas, and I will do nearly anything I can to avoid them but if I eat a pea it's not going to kill me.

There are a lot of people who live with food allergies. I can't imagine what my life would be like if I had to deal with a food allergy. I know millions of people have to and must take it seriously to survive but it can sure put a kink in a person's adventurous side.

It seems that food allergies are becoming more prevalent. I'm not sure if we are more aware or are more protective or are really seeing an increase in the cases of food borne allergens. Maybe science and medicine can help us with a lot of these cases. I realize it is not cancer or heart disease but it can be deadly and can limit opportunities.

I don't know how to make it better. I don't know if we need to. I would like to see everyone have the opportunity to try an entree if they so chose and not be in fear that someone in some plant they never met didn't have a bad day and just contaminate your lunch because he forgot to change gloves. As I said in the beginning I can't imagine living like that.



No comments:

Post a Comment