Monday, April 11, 2011

Parlez-vous

I am the first to admit that I don't speak French as well as I should. However, since I moved to Ottawa, I have been improving. In fact, I ordered my lunch in French today. Nothing fancy. I stuck to short phrases and I'm sure my accent was very thick but I did manage to do it. By no means does this make me think I'm bilingual but it does show a bit of hope.

I don't have a great flare for language. I have worked quite hard to improve my writing in English. I had a goal to write very efficiently and effectively. I have got to a place I am quite confident in what I write. I may not change the world or ever write a great quote but I can sure get my point across and I try to not waste the reader's time. As good as that is, I am never going to write the great Canadian novel, and to be honest I don't want to.

When it comes to other languages, really I just want to get by. I took French all through high school. I did ok. I am around French all the time in the workplace, it's coming back to me. I have ventured into Quebec a few times in the last month. The more exposure I get to French the more comfortable I am becoming. I'm not going to stand up and give a two hour dissertation in French, I may never get to that point. I'm ok with that. I am really just hoping to get to a point I can share in a conversation in French. I think I'm going to get there but it will take a while.

Hopefully I will continue to improve and I will get where I want to be.



No comments:

Post a Comment