Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Deadliest Catch

Yes, I'm going to talk about a TV show. I love this show. It's entertaining unto itself. The man versus nature in pursuit of a fortune story is always exciting.

I also like the show because it makes me appreciate my work environment. Keeping in mind part of my job involves tying two aircraft together and flying them my workplace is infinitely safer than on the deck of a crab boat.

It's a dangerous workplace because the employers choose to operate a dangerous workplace. The hours are ridiculous and fatigue must be commonplace. They almost never stop pulling or launching crab pots no matter how bad the weather is. The training is minimal and new crew members, referred to as greenhorns, are left to fend for themselves. The faster they go the more money they make because they burn less fuel. All in all it is how not to run an organization.

There is inherent risk to crab fishing. It is conducted in some of the coldest water in the world. It is conducted during a cold time of year that doesn't have a lot sunlight. It doesn't have to be conducted with substandard equipment, a lack of SOPs and with the prevailing attitude you need to work yourself to near death or you will be fired.

All that being said it does make for compelling television and I will start watching the new season tonight.



No comments:

Post a Comment