Monday, April 18, 2011

You Wouldn't Want To Break A Sweat

I should start by saying that I, like most people do not do as much as I could possibly do when I go to the gym. That being said I saw someone completely waste their time at the gym today.

It appeared this person has never been to a gym before. They were carrying their coat around and not really doing anything. There was a brief stint on the bike with very, very slow pedaling and some strange arm movements.

I suppose it really shouldn't matter to me if someone else is wasting their own time. If they stay out of my way and do their own thing, why does it matter to me?

It matters because I want to see people use their time well. I want to see people enjoy the benefits of an active and fit lifestyle. I also don't want someone to hurt themselves when I'm around.

The really strange thing is any gym, including the one I go to, offer services to get you going or help with your fitness goals. People who are not sure how to proceed should take advantage of these services. No-one would just hop into an airplane and try to fly it without lessons, why would you attempt to exercise without the knowledge on how to do it. Many high school physical education curriculums include instruction on how to exercise but I think this was added to the school system long after our example was in high school.

In the grand scheme of things it's not my problem if someone wastes their time at the gym. Most people don't use their time as well as they should but most people do a fairly good job of using their time to some effect. Of course not everyone can even say that.



No comments:

Post a Comment