Sunday, April 3, 2011

Suburbia

I went into the suburbs today. Ottawa has a lot of them. Although the Byward Market always has people in it much of downtown Ottawa is very quiet on the week-end. Everyone returns to their suburb of choice.

Although I logically understand the appeal of the suburbs, emotionally they don't make any sense to me.

I had a specific reason to head out of the urban centre. I found where I was going and did what I had to do. I also stopped at a Burger King. This Burger King also had a Shawarma restaurant in the same location. It's a bit strange if you ask me.

I think what really bothers me about the suburbs is they are so planned. Cookie-cutter houses surrounding power malls. You could be in any city and it looks the same. There is a distinct lack of character. The randomness that stimulates the mind does not exist. You don't find the lawyer's office above the deli. The eclectic mix of people and business is missing. You have to drive anywhere. You travel in your car, separated from others. There is no random encounters on the street. Nobody will stop you to ask directions. Without this you may go from living life to merely existing.

I realize not everyone likes urban living. Some feel crowded and imposed upon. Some feel it is unsafe. I find the urban life to be interesting, sustainable, fun, and energizing. Being able to walk to most of what I need and want is a blessing. Being amongst people gives me energy. You don't get that in the suburban lifestyle.

I may have grown up in a very small town but I have become a city dweller and I don't want it any other way.



No comments:

Post a Comment