Monday, April 25, 2011

I Don't Think Those Go Together

Today as I walked to the gym there was a guy jogging the other direction. This is not unusual in Ottawa. The unusual part was the guy was smoking while waiting for the light to change.

I will the guy props for jogging and working to get into better shape. I will also say I understand quitting smoking is very difficult and you have to be ready when you try to quit. I'm just not sure if the two go together.

I'll admit I'm not perfect. For years when I lived in Winnipeg I would go to the gym on Mondays after work and then go out and drink beer while eating chicken wings. I know that is not the most productive behavior. The smoking while jogging struck me as odd.

As I thought about it, I'm not sure why it was so strange to me. Many people who smoke also jog. Its not unreasonable to do both at the same time, yet I think it looks strange. It must be some expectation that if someone is jogging they shouldn't be smoking. It is just one of the norms that society seems to develop.

As I was walking to the gym today I saw a guy smoking while jogging. For some reason I found it strange, but it should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment