Sunday, November 7, 2010

Coming and Going

As I am relocating from Winnipeg to Ottawa there are a few things that I am going to miss in Winnipeg and a few things I am looking forward to enjoying in Ottawa. This is a normal part of moving and changing.

A few of the things I'm going to miss in Winnipeg are...

Bomber Games. I am a huge Winnipeg Blue Bomber fan. I enjoy going to the games. The atmosphere, the crowd and the trough. The Bombers are not in Ottawa and I will only get to go to a couple of games a year, if even that much.

Socials. In Manitoba you can always have a social. You need to raise money, have a social. You want to celebrate, have a social. Despite all the bad socials I have been to I have been to a lot more good socials. Some of my best fuzzy memories are from socials.

Winnipeg Old Country Bologna. Yes, I am going to miss a deli meat. But this is the best bologna in the world. It is well spiced and has great flavour. The plant is inspected provincially so you can't sell it outside Manitoba, as such, I will not be able to buy it in Ottawa.

The Pal. I don't go very often but I am always entertained when I do. It is a unique vortex in Winnipeg night life. Yes there are cougars. Yes there are guys chasing cougars. But there is also so much more.

Montana's at Polo Park. It's just like every other Montana's out there except for a long time the staff was great. I ended up spending a lot of time there. I even took some of the bartenders flying, that's how much time I spent there. I can get the food at any Montana's but being able to walk in and everyone knows you is a unique feeling.

There is a lot more that I will miss. Winnipeg is a unique city and it has its quirks.

There are a few things I am looking forward to in Ottawa...

Shorter Winter. I once said the best thing about living in Winnipeg is no matter where you go in the world winter is better. I am ok with snow in mid-December and a melt in early March.

Montreal Smoked Meat Sandwiches. If you have never had one in Ottawa or Montreal, you don't know what you are missing. 8 ounces of thick cut Montreal Smoked Meat on rye bread. It doesn't get much better that that.

Walking to Work. It was usually about 20 minutes to drive to work. I should be able to walk in about 25 from my new place to my office. Only 5 more minutes to get to work and the health, financial, and environmental benefits. The added benefit is I will be walking past Parliament every day. Kind of cool if you ask me.

Proximity. Not only do I get a new city to explore I'm 8 hrs driving to Boston and NYC. 4 hrs driving to Toronto and 2 hours to Montreal. There will be a lot to explore and discover.

Variety. Although Ottawa is a company town there is a lot of variety there. All the embassies (I will be living next door to the Turkish Embassy) and both official languages will help make it a varied experience. I will find my regular places but there is a lot of different in that city.

Last week when I was in Ottawa looking for a place, I was impressed with the city and my want to live there is only growing. Once my stuff is in place, look out, I will be ready to move forward.

I'm moving to Ottawa and I am excited.

1 comment:

  1. I thought you were excited about career oriented women who were well established and ready to settle down?!?

    ReplyDelete