Sunday, November 14, 2010

Delays

As I relocate from Winnipeg to Ottawa I have to travel from one to the other. Today was the first leg of the drive. I went from Winnipeg to Thunder Bay. Sounds easy enough.

There were a few delays.

The Elevator. Yes the elevator in the hotel in Winnipeg delayed me. It would not come to my floor and pick me up. I would push the button, the light would go out but no door would open. This happened several times.

The Accidents. As I was driving down Fermor Ave in Winnipeg and I approached Lagimodiere Blvd, the road was closed by a police cruiser. No big deal, I will just zip down to the Perimeter Highway and zip around to the Number 1. When I got to the interchange at the Trans-Canada it was closed so I had to go up to Dugald Rd and back down PTH 207 to Deacon's Corner.

The Restaurant. I stopped for lunch in Dryden ON. I sat down in a restaurant I have ate at several times. It took over twenty minutes for someone to come over and greet me.

The Semi in the Ditch. There was a semi being towed out of the ditch that stopped traffic for at least 25 minutes.

The Snowplough. I caught up to a snowplough going 50 km/h. It was ploughing the shoulder, not the driving lane.

Now there are some upsides to the trip today.

I arrived safely.

I am closer to the destination.

I did the only time change required on the trip.

I may sound as if I am complaining. I may be a bit but when you are driving all day it is easy to get a bit grumpy. Some of these delays are part of travelling. Some are caused by people doing their jobs poorly. It doesn't really matter in the end.

Tomorrow I drive to Sault Ste Marie and the adventure continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment