Saturday, November 20, 2010

Quickness

I was walking about downtown Ottawa today. I headed from my place to the Rideau Centre. This is a part of my walk to work. I think my walk to work is going to take longer than my walk home. It is up hill. It seems to be more up hill than I first realized. It is not insurmountable. I did notice that going home was a much easier walk. I was also walking into a very stiff breeze. This probably added to the effort. I realize this in not mountain climbing but I'm from Winnipeg (read very flat.)

I am excited to be walking to work.

There is the cost savings. I will not be spending money on a bus pass or fuel for my vehicle. This is always a benefit.

There is the fitness aspect. Walking between 25 and 30 minutes twice a day, 5 days a week will be a good addition to my fitness routine.

I think the biggest benefit is the quickness factor of walking. I have discovered downtown Ottawa rush hour traffic is ridiculous. It moves slow. People drive like idiots. It is difficult to make turns. The downtown area is not designed to drive to work. By walking I will be able to move quickly. I will be able to keep moving when traffic is at a standstill. I will not have to wait for public transit. I will not be tied to a schedule. I can stop and take care of errands on the way home. I will be able to enjoy the city atmosphere.

I realize a rainy day will lessen my enjoyment as will very cold weather. In January I will be walking in the dark. Considering all that, I will probably miss the walk once I get into it. I have not been exercising since I left for my house hunting trip. I need to get back at it. Having said that I have missed my regular exercise and I will have to get back at it.

There are pros and cons to every course of action. I see the pros of this walk to work significantly outweighing the cons.

I'm looking forward to work on Monday.



No comments:

Post a Comment