Thursday, November 18, 2010

Connecting Digitally

This evening I was watching a documentary on CBC about how we have become so connected and how it may not be good for us. I don't know if this is a true. I am very connected. You can pretty much get in touch with me by multiple methods at any time you want. I don't find it stressful and I don't find it extends my workday.

Laptops, tablets, and smartphones are tools.

A tool is only as effective as the person who uses it. In society we must ensure we use technology to effect. We must leverage the technology to improve our lives.

The first thing is you must know how to prioritize your tasks. This is not new. This has been an issue in the workplace since there were locations with people working in them. A smartphone does not tell you what to do first. A smartphone sends receives, and processes information. This is what you use the tool for. It does not make decisions for you.

I think a lot of people expect their technology to do their job for them.

The human input has been and will always be the most important part of work. We can use tools to organize, find and manipulate information but ultimately we must continue to make the decisions.

It maybe that connective technology is just faster at exposing people's weaknesses. It shows who can and who can't prioritize themselves and their tasks. It shows who makes and who doesn't make decisions. It shows who is good and who isn't.

There is the same amount of work. If you can get it done quicker and more timely it should allow you to shift your free time to when you want it.

I see a lot of people using technology poorly. We need to figure out how to use our tools better.

No comments:

Post a Comment