Saturday, November 13, 2010

One Great City

The Weakerthans wrote a song about Winnipeg titled, "One Great City." in it they talk about everything that is wrong with Winnipeg. The idea is everyone in Winnipeg knows everything that is wrong with this city but Winnipeggers will vigorously defend their city. I am like that as well.

I have always lived in Manitoba. Tomorrow I leave this province as I move to Ottawa. I will always seeManitoba as home. I may never live here again or I may move back some day. I don't know what the future has in store for me in that aspect of life.

I am excited to be moving but in the last few days I have noticed that this move has become real. I have returned my keys ton my Winnipeg landlord. I am holed up in a hotel. Everyone wants to see me again before I leave. I'm sure this is natural. I want to see my friends too as they are what I will miss the most. It is much easier to stay connected over distance in 2010 but it's the sitting and having a beer and a great conversation that I will miss. I'm sure I will make more friends in Ottawa but I have really good ones here.

Leaving my apartment was tougher than I thought. I have a lot of great memories there. It's the longest I've lived in one place in my life. It was a nice place in a great location. It's part of what defined me for the last 8 years. Many concerts and hockey games started in my place. Everyone was always welcome and great times were had. It quickly felt like home and I can't believe I'm leaving it. I know there will be good times ahead.

I know a lot of people in Winnipeg. It is not uncommon to randomly come across people while in the mall or the grocery store. It will take a long time to know that many people in Ottawa, if I ever get to that level. I like a certain level of anonymity but I like some familiarity as well.

And up above us all, leaning into sky, a golden business boy, will watch the north end die.

I will always have a place for Winnipeg.


No comments:

Post a Comment